Sunday, June 3, 2012

Of Dakgalbi, Frozen Yogurt and Hui Ming's Bday

Decided to try making yogurt at home and I didn't expect it to be quite successful! =D The whole yogurt making process is easy but pretty time consuming as you have to monitor the yogurt from time to time.

Proceed into making frozen yogurt after my yogurt is ready. The key to making frozen yogurt? Whisk whisk whisk~! Warm up your arm beforehand as whisking yogurt can be quite tiresome.

Did I mention that if you have a box of Gochujang (Korean red chilli pepper paste), you can cook a variety of Korean dishes out of it? Well, if you don't feel like buying it from supermarket, you can always make your own Gochujang

Dakgalbi, or Korean spicy fried chicken is probably one of the easiest dishes to make with Gochujang. To cook Dakgalbi, all you need is:
  • Diced chicken thigh and breast meat
  • Chopped garlic
  • 5 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon of sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon of chilli flakes 
  • 3 tablespoons of Gochujang (or to your own liking)
  • 1/4 of whole white cabbage
  • Green onion
  • 2 tablespoon of sesame oil
Last but not least, fresh lettuce to wrap your Dakgalbi and om nom nom in one bite! The original Dakgalbi would have sweet potato and carrot too but chicken with cabbage is fine for me.

Before I start cooking the chicken, I prefer to marinate it with the seasoning and spices as I've mentioned above. Then heat the pan, fry the garlic until it is golden brown and start throwing in your chicken and cabbage. Add some more Gochujang if you can tolerate high level of spiciness. Fry fry fry and you are done!

Tadaa, my end result! This time I'm cooking it without cabbage as I've forgot to restock it.


Okay, here's the original Uncle Jang Dakgalbi for your reference.


And some might say why still bother going to Korean restaurants and paying so much of money if you can cook your own Korean food at home?

As I've mentioned in my previous post, something about Korean food makes me keep craving for more and it is none other than their side dishes. Korean side dishes all come in small portions and in most Korean restaurants, they are free and refillable!  Furthermore, they are appetizing and not to mention, healthy!

As Korean side dishes are mainly marinated vegetables, radish, seaweed or potato, it does not involve any complicated procedures to prepare them. However, preparing dozens of dishes is so time consuming that unless you are a full time Korean housewife and you spend most of your time marinating vegetables at home, which is impossible for me. 

Hmm, so what's next to cook? haha

P/S: Happy 21st Birthday to my childhood friend! Hope you enjoy and like our post-celebration at Daorae Korean BBQ, Kepong!

Friendship forever!

Footy chocolate cake from San Terri. Her boyfriend is such a sweetie for discussing cake and birthday plan suggestions with me days before. 

And hope you like my pressie! Which is a Domokun Bday card and the ♥HM letter blocks from Typo! Necklace is from Bobo and Ah Kuan. Rilakuma bear is from her boyfie. So much love from us!
Picture stolen from Hui Ming's facebook.

by
CSY

2 comments:

Hilda Milda™ said...

HAHA I guess this long sem break is surely turning us into 'si lai' busy venturing and cooking in the kitchen :P

admin said...

exactly~~~~! hahahaha